06 February 2010

Yesterday

Yesterday it happened. I was walking to the parking lot when, right before my eyes, it happened. I saw the girl and her smiling eyes. She smiled right until it happened. In fact, I couldn’t see any reason for the smile to fade. But that was before it happened. The sun was high and everyone was shaking off their winter clothes. With a skip in his step, I saw him pace towards me. I didn’t see it coming, but it came. It was a slow motion kind of video in my mind. But it was as plain as day. Then the guy on his roller blades blew by, just missing when it happened. What a day he would’ve had! The roar of the bus bellowed in the distance. They seem to invade every situation. Like this one. But that roar faded to a hum when it happened. All my senses were heightened. I felt as if I could taste a barbeque that was roasting sausages on the other side of the river. I could swear I read the button on his backpack as he turned when it happened. But I forgot what it said because it happened. Life went to slow motion when it happened. I felt as if this was the climax, the apex, the meeting of every circumstance and situation that I had ever been through in my life. It all came together when it happened. There she was, smiling; there he was, skipping towards her; there I was, watching it happen. The bus was humming away, almost inaudible in my ears. My stomach stopped growling, forgetting the sausages. I read his button as he turned. The girl stopped smiling. Time stood almost still. It happened in slow motion. They turned and faced each other. Aware of what was about to happen, I tried to swallow but my throat was too dry. Then it happened. It happened yesterday.



Colin and Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment